httpd 2.4 is coming, RFC on module packaging draft

Joe Orton jorton at redhat.com
Fri Mar 23 17:19:46 UTC 2012

httpd 2.4.1 packages are ready for dist-f18 and will be built early next
week.  Rebuilds will be required for all packages containing httpd
modules.  There are API changes in 2.4, so module packages may need
patches if upstream has not done that work already:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/developer/new_api_2_4.html

There are some significant changes in the packaging, also:

1) Config changes: I've moved to a minimal default httpd.conf which is
very close to what we're shipping upstream.

a) I'm proposing to split out packaged config snippets from mutable
config, with the former in /etc/httpd/conf.modules.d/, containing only
LoadModule lines, and ordered to avoid load-ordering issues.

b) /etc/httpd/conf.d/*.conf should contain no LoadModules for packaged
modules, and only any reasonable default configurations.

2) Loadable MPMs!  MPMs are now loadable modules, so we only need to
ship one httpd binary again.  Changing MPM is a config tweak.

3) Content.  Putting unmutable content in /var was bad practice, so I've
moved the /var/www/manual and /var/www/icons to into /usr/share/httpd.
We now ship /var/www/* as empty directories.

4) Filesystem locations have moved in-line with upstream, e.g. apxs is
now in /usr/bin.  /etc/rpm/httpd.macros has macros for everything module
packages should need.

Since much of the above requires packaging changes for module packages,
I've prepared a draft packaging guideline to document best practice:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/ApacheHTTPModules

If anything there looks stupid, needs fixing, is missing, or there's any
other feedback, please shout!

Regards, Joe