ARM as a primary architecture

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Mar 24 00:14:39 UTC 2012

Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> Of course, but numbers are numbers; we just have to pay attention to
> lighter, mobile formfactors. It is the same reasoning as in the desktop
> vs. server dilemma 15 years ago: you could say that 'servers are
> per-company devices', so Linux has been concentrating on the desktops,
> where the numbers were---while still paying attention to servers. As we
> know it's a good idea to optimize for both desktop and server; they
> aren't contradictory.

Actually, GNU/Linux has been focusing on servers for years, and still does.
Look at what the main target for RHEL is. Or why Debian's release cycle is
built around the "stable" release. Fedora has a strong desktop focus because
it's pace of innovation is scaring server owners away (and yet, even in
Fedora, there's a Server SIG), but GNU/Linux in general is primarily a
server operating system!

        Kevin Kofler