dh-make broken deps for 3 releases (was: F-17 Branched report: 20120325 changes)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Mar 26 09:32:10 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 12:57:44AM +0200, Oron Peled wrote:
>  * IMO, it's important to have Debian packaging tools for Fedora so it
>    can be used as a more complete development platform:
>    - Currently, there's no problem building rpm's and yum repos on Debian
>      as a development platform, but not the other way around
>
>    - This means that a Debian/Ubuntu workstation can build both .deb and RPM
>      packages, and we cannot use Fedora for a similar role.

Is this really true?  What happens if, say, your program depends on
PCRE, which has different sonames on Debian/Ubuntu and Fedora (for
essentially the same library):

fedora$ rpm -qf /usr/lib64/libpcre.so.0
pcre-8.21-2.fc17.1.x86_64

ubuntu$ dpkg -S /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre.so.3.12.1
libpcre3: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre.so.3.12.1
ubuntu$ dpkg -l libpcre3-dev
ii  libpcre3-dev   8.12-3ubuntu2  Perl 5 Compatible Regular Expression Library

I don't understand how a binary built on one platform could be copied
across to the other and work.

Rich.