Managing the GNOME updates in Fedora

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 10:58:13 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> At the moment the GNOME updates in Fedora are a bit of chaotic affair.
> They mostly work, but only because of people like mclasen who spend
> hours and hours building packages and putting everything together
> manually. For 3.3.92 I experimented doing a mega-update and trying to
> get all the 3.3.92 builds in one place, and working with kalev on a
> google spreadsheet to make sure everything was built in good time, and
> nothing was left behind.
>
> For the GNOME 3.4.0 release, I'm asking people to copy this pattern,
> and try to get all the builds into *one* update rather than 90% of the
> builds in one mega-update and then 10% in random updates that other
> people have filed. If this works, I'm intending to do the 3.4.1 update
> as one update as well.
>
> So, TLDR. If you're packaging a GNOME package that's just had a 3.3.92
> upstream release and is about to have a 3.4.0 release, please build
> the package like normal, but don't file an update. Instead add the
> build ID to https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtzJKpbiGX1zdGJzeU9waFJFZmgyQzBuN2VxU0lxbHc
> and then I'll pick up the build for the mega update.
>
> Hopefully this makes the updates system easier to QA, as GNOME is more
> and more interconnected, and it' just not possible to QA updates when
> you have a 3.3.91 version of gnome-settings-daemon and 3.4.1 version
> of gnome-screenshot.

It would be nice if the rawhide stream was built at the same time as
well as not doing so has the effect of people trying to work with
rawhide as well get random failures and in the process of building
F-17 and rawhide on ARM a non insignificant number of gnome packages
have newer builds in F-16 than they do in both rawhide and F-17 that
I've ended up having to fix.

Peter