F16: Kernel bug with USB disks ?

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Mon Mar 26 13:05:44 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am using the latest F16 kernel: 3.3.0-4.fc16.i686.PAE and am having
problems with a MicroSD card connected to a USB card reader. This has
been working fine until recently (at least in F14 on the same hardware).

The problem is that "umount" does not appear to be working correctly.
I have an ext3 file system on the card. I can mount it, and I can copy
files to it. However when I use the "umount ..." command it returns
instantly (should sync the files to the card). The system says the card
is unmounted (at least it is not listed with mount, df etc).

However if I run sync, there is a lot of disk activity to the card ...

Also if I try and run "mkfs" it says the device in in use ...
If I mount a blank card it lists the files present on the previous card ...

This sounds like a nasty kernel bug ...
Anyone else seen this ?

Cheers

Terry