Managing the GNOME updates in Fedora

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Mar 26 14:38:44 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:07:45 -0400,
   Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:

>The trick is to not build for rawhide ever, until after the stable
>release is out, and instead rely on inheritance. Since building
>everything twice is just a terrible waste of effort, and makes this
>whole mass building thing even more of a torture. But, of course, this
>only works if you get on the right track when doing the first build
>after the fork - unfortunately, our forking setup makes it not easy to
>avoid doing at least one accidental F18 build before you notice the new
>branch...

If we really want to rely on this process, I think we should reconsider
having rawhide inherit from the previous release's (currently f17)
updates.

Currently it can take a while for fixes that are just in f17-updates-testing
to make it to rawhide. This is particular bad around freezes.

Another thing to note about not doing builds for rawhide, is that we don't
get early testing of build issues for things that are in rawhide but not
in branched.