dh-make broken deps for 3 releases (was: F-17 Branched report: 20120325 changes)

Oron Peled oron at actcom.co.il
Mon Mar 26 22:23:11 UTC 2012

On Monday, 26 בMarch 2012 11:32:10 Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 12:57:44AM +0200, Oron Peled wrote:
> >    - This means that a Debian/Ubuntu workstation can build both .deb
> >      and RPM packages, and we cannot use Fedora for a similar role.
>
> Is this really true?  What happens if, say, your program depends on
> PCRE, which has different sonames on Debian/Ubuntu and Fedora (for
> essentially the same library):

You are correct that packaging tools by themselves do not solve *all*
portability problems (e.g: Suse/Mandriva/Feodra use RPM, but nobody
sane would try to install cross-distro -- even with same package format)

However, there are many important working use-cases.
Examples:

 * If the programs or libraries you compile yourselve, use just glibc,
   you are normally good to go (due to the very strict ABI provided
   by glibc):

       oron at squeeze1:~$ objdump --all /lib/libc-2.11.3.so | grep SONAME
       SONAME               libc.so.6

       [oron at localhost ~]$ rpm -q fedora-release
       fedora-release-15-3.noarch
       [oron at localhost ~]$ objdump --all /lib/libc-2.14.1.so | grep SONAME
       SONAME               libc.so.6

 * Noarch packages (perl/python/ruby/you-name-it)

 * Packaging cross-compiler toolchain/libraries (which is really
   a special case of the two previous items)

 * Manipulating packages:
   - createrepo
   - downloading/extracting source packages

> I don't understand how a binary built on one platform could be copied
> across to the other and work.

Moreover, if we have pbuilder on Fedora (which is one of the packages
I listed), we are done, as it build in a chroot environment (similar
to Fedora's mock).

Actually, even when building on a Debian host I always use either
pbuilder(1) for unattended builds, or build in an schroot(1) for
interactive builds. This enables me to build the same source tree
(maybe with pending commits) for different OS releases.

[Note: schroot(1) is already packaged in Fedora -- anybody who didn't
       try it is missing a crown jewl]

--
Oron Peled                                 Voice: +972-4-8228492
oron at actcom.co.il                  http://users.actcom.co.il/~oron