httpd 2.4 is coming, RFC on module packaging draft

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Mar 27 17:15:22 UTC 2012

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> We are very good at inventing and implementing the latest and the
> greatest but terribly at removing the legacy cruff at the same time,
> which results in half baked implementation leaving various things in
> "compat" mode and half removed from the distribution/install.

I think "removing the legacy cruft" just for the goal of removing it is not
helpful at all and is actually the main cause of "half baked", "half
removed" stuff in Fedora.

I assume that that mod_access_compat module only requires a few bytes, so I
don't see why it should not be loaded by default forever (or at least as
long as upstream supports it, which hopefully will be for the whole 2.4
cycle).

Of course, web app packages in Fedora itself SHOULD be updated to the new
directives, but that's not a reason to gratuitously break the old ones.

        Kevin Kofler