Need help with writing a yum plugin

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 18:14:59 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-03-25 at 14:51 +0530, Ankur Sinha wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to write a yum plug-in: wait-for-kmod
>>
>> For quite a few users, the kmods from RPMFusion are a must. Take
>> broadcom wireless for example. Now, the kmods generally lag the kernel
>> updates by a few hours: people who do update their systems in this
>> interval are left without wireless/display etc. on reboot.
>
> That's what the akmods are for...

Well yes, but they're not perfect either. If an akmod fails to build
it can't stop the kernel from updating (since the transaction is
already one) so you can still run into issues and this does happen for
various reasons, most recently when some includes got moved for the
3.3 kernel. Although this plugin wouldn't fix that, it would make it
easier for most people who don't want to deal with the added
complexity and just go back to using kmods.

Richard

Richard