httpd 2.4 is coming, RFC on module packaging draft

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 19:19:00 UTC 2012

On 03/27/2012 05:15 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> I think "removing the legacy cruft" just for the goal of removing it is not
> helpful at all and is actually the main cause of "half baked", "half
> removed" stuff in Fedora.

Interesting how did you come to that conclusion?

> I assume that that mod_access_compat module only requires a few bytes, so I
> don't see why it should not be loaded by default forever (or at least as
> long as upstream supports it, which hopefully will be for the whole 2.4
> cycle).

Few bytes for mod_access_compat here, few bytes for something else
there....

> Of course, web app packages in Fedora itself SHOULD be updated to the new
> directives, but that's not a reason to gratuitously break the old ones.

It's my experience that things dont seem to get fixed unless they are
broken and what "compat" does is just delaying the inevitable...

Those web app maintainers that actually bother to monitor upstream have
already made the necessary changes to their relevant component and did
so as soon as 2.4 got release and probably are just waiting until we
start shipping 2.4.

It's those that dont and they will drag their feets in doing so until
that compatibility is removed...

JBG