ARM as a primary architecture

Matthew Garrett mjg at redhat.com
Thu Mar 29 02:57:01 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 07:27:13PM -0700, Andy Grover wrote:
> On 03/28/2012 06:13 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > Oh no. Nobody's seriously considering UEFI ARM platforms without ACPI,
> > are they?
>
> Wait, I thought there was some kind of "flattened device tree" or
> something that the ARM folks thought would let them avoid ACPI. Did that
> not pan out? Maybe MS put the kibosh on it?

I'd been under the impression that flattened device tree was a migratory
path before systems adopted UEFI/ACPI. UEFI doesn't have its own device
tree and so relies on the platform to provide one - in theory that could
be something that looks like the Linux device tree spec, but there's no
description of how to express that in UEFI at present.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org