Booting Fedora from LVM with grub2

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Mar 29 07:00:03 UTC 2012

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 22:16:25 +0200
Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> maybe the tone was minimal rude because i do absolutely
> not understand why anyone can have the idea "hey let us
> remove the whole custom partitioning and replace with
> kickstart only" to solve problems with it

That's not what I understood from Adam's description, which was:

> It's worth bearing in mind there's a giant anaconda UI rewrite still
> pending, which entirely redesigns the storage configuration GUI. One
> of the other major changes is that it makes all installations
> kickstart-driven. The GUI will just produce a kickstart file, which
> anaconda will then process to perform the actual install.

Now my understanding of that doesn't include anything about removing
custom partitioning. It's all about splitting up the functionality of
anaconda into two distinct parts - the GUI configuration part, which I
would expect still to contain custom partitioning, and a back-end that
implements the configuration, where the configuration is passed to it
in the form of a kickstart file (either the output of the GUI part, or
a kickstart file prepared earlier by the user).

My understanding is based entirely on Adam's description since I'm not
involved in anaconda development, but it strikes me as being a good
thing as it would split one large process into two, presumably smaller
ones, which would help solve the problem of running anaconda on
machines with less memory.

Paul.