Install Fedora Button for LiveCD

Kalev Lember kalevlember at gmail.com
Wed May 2 19:47:53 UTC 2012

On 05/01/2012 07:25 PM, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> I've got to be honest here -- I don't like the wording of the
> notification. /.../

Pádraig, Jared, Chris:

Thanks for the suggestions, I think these are definitely an improvement
over the original text. I'll reply with in line comments regarding
Chris's wording below.

I'm not a native speaker, so please correct me if you can.

> You are currently running Fedora from live media.

This is nice, better than the original "an uninstalled live image" -- I
guess "uninstalled" is a term that developers are used to, but doesn't
make a lot of sense for end users.

On 05/01/2012 07:43 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> To install Fedora, click Install, or choose "Install to Hard Drive"
> in the Activities menu.

I agree that it's a good idea to explain how to find the Anaconda icon.
(I'll have to nitpick here and say that the correct term is "Activities
overview", which has a list of favorite applications in the "Dash".)

Also note that this notification is going to be displayed in the
fallback mode as well, so if we go with explaining how to find the
Anaconda icon, we are likely to need two separate texts.

I don't think it's good style to spell out what the controls on the
notification do -- "To install Fedora, click Install". This sounds more
like an user's manual, not something we should be displaying as the most
prominent text that the user will see. In my opinion, the text should
talk about user's actions, but not how to use the controls in the dialog
box.

How about this as the main text:
You are currently running Fedora from live media.
If you are ready, you can install Fedora now, or choose "Install to Hard
Drive" in the Activities overview at any later time.

and this for the fallback mode:
You are currently running Fedora from live media.
If you are ready, you can install Fedora now, or choose "Install to Hard
Drive" in the System Tools menu at any later time.

--
Thanks,
Kalev