New libtiff version in rawhide, requires dependent packages rebuild

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon May 7 08:56:27 UTC 2012

On 05/07/2012 10:08 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Mon, 07 May 2012 08:07:22 +0200, RC (Ralf) wrote:
>
>> On 05/06/2012 06:10 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> I have pushed libtiff 4.0.1 into rawhide, replacing libtiff 3.9.5.
>>> This entails a library soname bump and a few small source-level
>>> incompatibilities, as detailed at
>>> http://www.remotesensing.org/libtiff/v4.0.0.html
>>>
>>> By my count there are about a hundred dependent packages (see list
>>> below), so to avoid breaking rawhide until everything can be rebuilt,
>>> I have put the old 3.9.x library into a temporary subpackage
>>> "libtiff-compat".  (We used the same trick a few months ago for libpng
>>> and it seemed to work all right.)
>>>
>>> I did trial rebuilds of all these packages against libtiff 4.0.1,
>>> and found only three that appear to need any source-code changes;
>>> though another dozen have pre-existing FTBFS problems which means
>>> I can't tell for sure if they would build against the new libtiff.
>>>
>>> If any of these packages are yours, please rebuild at the soonest
>>> opportunity.  If you need advice about fixing either libtiff- or
>>> libpng-dependent code, contact me off-list and I'll be glad to
>>> try to help.
>>>
>>> 			regards, tom lane
>>>

>>> corsepiu    OpenSceneGraph	pre-existing FTBFS
>> Could you point me to this "pre-existing FTBFS"?
>>
>> Digging BZ, koji and googling did not turn up any formal FTBFS, however
>> when trying to rebuild OSG, it indeed fail to build due to an issue
>> which seems unrelated to libtiff.
>
> Which, IMO, is exactly what Tom wants to point out.

Thanks, then I likely misunderstood him.

> The package would
> FTBFS already prior to the libtiff upgrade. Not all FTBFS issues are filed
> in bugzilla. Only those when the FTBFS checker script is run.

Makes me wonder what actually has broken building OSG.

Must be a recent change in of OSGs numerous build-deps, because it had
been rebuilt several times without major changes for ca. a year[1]

Ralf

[1] http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=1220