Proposed F18 feature: MiniDebugInfo

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon May 7 17:55:53 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com> wrote:
> I just wrote a new Feature proposal for shipping minimal debug info by
> default:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/MiniDebugInfo
>
> The feature page lists some of the background and statistics. It also
> lists some options in how to implement this, which all have various
> different pros and cons. I'd like to hear what peoples opinions on these
> are.
>
> My personal opinion is that we should go with compressed data, in the
> original files without the line number information. This means we use
> minimal space (i.e. an installation increase by only 0.5%) while being
> completely transparent to users. It does however make the normal
> packages larger in a non-optional way which some people disagree with.

What sort of size impact are we talking about here, there's a lot of
devices that people are starting to use Fedora on such as ARM devices
that don't have a lot of storage space. One of the most widely
deployed devices running Fedora for example is the OLPC XO-1 which
only has 1gb of space so every size increase is a hit and Fedora is
already starting to have quite a large muffin top to deal with.

Peter