Proposed F18 feature: MiniDebugInfo

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Tue May 8 06:30:55 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 08:09:04AM +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> This is your opinion. I rarely need the full backtrace in a bug report,
> because it you can get one its generally something thats easily
> reproduced and I can just run it in gdb myself. When you need it is when
> something weird is happening and you have to rely on the bugreport only.
> This is sometimes doable even without debug info, I even wrote a blog
> post about this:
>
> http://blogs.gnome.org/alexl/2005/08/26/the-art-of-decoding-backtraces-without-debug-info/
>
> But, having the full symbol names for all libraries and apps in all
> backtraces I'll ever see in the future would help me immensely. Even if
> its "just an unwinder".

But for that you really don't need the symtabs stored in the binaries/shared
libraries, you can just have the backtrace without symbols printed + print
relevant build-ids at the beginning, a script at any time can reconstruct
that into not just the symbol names, but also lineinfo.  And the build-ids
will help even if you want to look at further details (.debug_info, source
files).

	Jakub