Proposed F18 feature: MiniDebugInfo

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed May 9 08:07:13 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On Wed, 09 May 2012 09:27:57 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > So, having at least some level of quality local backtraces will
> > still be
> > good even if ABRT becomes better.
>
> Some new option is always good.
>
> Questionable is what should be the default.  IMO ABRT Retrace Server
> should be
> the default one (if it has its issues - such as reported UI - fixed).

Yep, I second to this - and it's the right way to move the hassle of
debug info stuff away from client side and our users. Current problem
is more unfinished ABRT (as UI is hardly usable, retrace server should
be default) and no other requirements should be put on users. I like mitr's
analysis - covering most of the users. Back to objective reasons - see below.

> Then remains the question whether .symtab-unwinds are worth the
> 0.5-2% size
> cost which I think they are not but in reality I do not mind at all.

For us, as KDE SIG taking care of Fedora KDE offering, it's quite a lot
as we're unfortunately balancing on the CD capacity edge (these 3.5 MB
and probably more are quite a huge problem...) for several releases.

On the other hand, it can help Dr. Konqui to have at least some debug
information (and yeah, debug info installer in Dr. Konqui is ugly hack).
But as far as I know, ABRT and Dr. Konqui guys are in touch regarding
the retrace server. So again moving the debug side of thing away from
users machine.

R.