Proposed F18 feature: MiniDebugInfo

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed May 9 11:33:29 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 10:36 +0200, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 03:07:20PM +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > I just wrote a new Feature proposal for shipping minimal debug info by
> > default:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/MiniDebugInfo
> >
> > The feature page lists some of the background and statistics. It also
> > lists some options in how to implement this, which all have various
> > different pros and cons. I'd like to hear what peoples opinions on these
> > are.
>
> What is the overall effect on the rpm size? On installation media
> every percent counts, if it's close to 3%, that might be too much for
> some spins.

The debuginfo is xz compressed, so its unlikely to not be further
compressed by rpms, this means the absolute size measurements from the
feature page is likely to be about right. That would means 43Mb larger
footprint for all the packages installed on my system, which is a pretty
heavy F17 desktop install with both kde, gnome and a lot of other
packages.

I don't know what that means in percent though, as I don't know how to
figure out the size of the rpms I have installed.