Proposed F18 feature: MiniDebugInfo

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed May 9 11:35:20 UTC 2012

Alexander Larsson wrote:
> The feature page lists some of the background and statistics. It also
> lists some options in how to implement this, which all have various
> different pros and cons. I'd like to hear what peoples opinions on these
> are.

There is no room left on the KDE live image for installing any sort of
debugging information by default.

> My personal opinion is that we should go with compressed data,

Compression does not help at all, because the live images are xz-compressed
and the maximum size is 700 MiB compressed. If you pre-compress the data, it
will likely only make the xz compression rate worse.

> This means we use minimal space (i.e. an installation increase by only
> 0.5%)

Even that is too much, even more so if that's when compressed!

        Kevin Kofler