Need review advice
leamas.alec at gmail.com
Wed May 9 12:35:46 UTC 2012
This is about BZ 817268, python-faces. The faces library is bundled in
openerp-server, and the request is about unbundling this library.
Faces is basically two python packages and a binary application. The
upstream is dead. The library cannot be used or even installed in
current upstream state, mostly because of references to old versions of
matplotlib. However, OpenERP (OE) has bundled, patched and used the library.
So I have submitted a request package python-faces based on the OE
patch. This makes the package work for OE's needs, but has drawbacks:
- The API is changed (__init__.py is patched), basically by limiting it
to what works.
- The binary application is no longer compatible with the patched lib,
so it must be removed..
My reviewer's position is that:
- The sources should be included in OE instead of being packaged separately.
- The patch is unacceptable because it changes the API.
- Removing the binary application is unacceptable.
My position is that
- Bundling is not an option,
- It's better to have something with at least some functionality which
is maintained by OE, than no package at all.
- The patch basically limits the API to what actually works. This is not
- There are no general rules against changing API or removing parts
which don't work in this situation - that is not to say it should be
I have looked inte patching the package, but it's beyond what I can do
in terms om time and competence. The hard issues are references to old
matpotlib APIs, together with the non-existing community. There has been
attempts to update faces to recent standards. Actually, the last commits
in the faces repo (2010) are OE contributions i. e., they make a
maintenance work. However, their interest is in the library, not in the
Nevertheless, I and my reviewer needs to find a common understanding on
this issues. Could someone please have a look at this bug, and give some
The link: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=817268
More information about the devel