Proposed F18 feature: MiniDebugInfo

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Wed May 9 15:57:28 UTC 2012

> On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 13:35 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > > The feature page lists some of the background and statistics. It also
> > > lists some options in how to implement this, which all have various
> > > different pros and cons. I'd like to hear what peoples opinions on these
> > > are.
> >
> > There is no room left on the KDE live image for installing any sort of
> > debugging information by default.
>
> We could easily drop some of less-than-half-complete translations to
> make room for a bit of minidebuginfo. Last time I looked, translations,
> fonts, etc made up upwards of 25% of the livecd. Or we could just drop
> the obsolescent cdrom size limitation...

I know I've said this before, but: we should break the CD size barrier
precisely so people can't burn things to CDs.  If you must burn to
optical media, do yourself a favor and burn a DVD, the reduced seek time
is entirely worth it.

1G fits on both the smallest MiniDVD format and most extant USB sticks.
Let's do it already.

- ajax