default media size [Was: Proposed F18 feature: MiniDebugInfo]

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Wed May 9 20:33:47 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 10:07 PM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:
>> I know I've said this before, but: we should break the CD size
>> barrier
>> precisely so people can't burn things to CDs.  If you must burn to
>> optical media, do yourself a favor and burn a DVD, the reduced seek
>> time
>> is entirely worth it.
>
> I'd like to break CD limit too but we should not forgot there are users
> for which CD is top technology from dreams and we have a lot of these
> users among some countries...

Where are the numbers to back this nonsense up?
A DVD burner costs ~12 € ... and any computer that old isn't really
that capable of running  fedora reasonably anyway.

> For me personally CD is history, even
> DVD, same 1 GB flash drive. We can afford it. But some people can't
> and are our users thanks to the ability to get a cheap OS, that can
> run on cheap HW and is still modern.

See above.

> The question is - how many people will be affected? Or should we
> provide some fallback option - stripped down CD media size image? And
> make the bigger one primary one?

Well anyone can create a specialized spin for ancient hardware, but we
should not restrict ourselves because of ancient hardware.