Like C++? Not afraid of quirky build systems? Seeking LLVM co-maintainers

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Wed May 9 21:57:30 UTC 2012

On 05/06/2012 02:29 AM, Michel Alexandre Salim wrote:

> LLVM is becoming an increasingly integral part of our distribution
> (with mesa now using it to build the LLVMpipe renderer, for example)
> that I don't really feel comfortable maintaining it mostly by myself.

Thanks for the private email about ARM stuff. I've just kicked off
another scratch build for ARM LLVM that might fix our outstanding
problems. I'm ok - vaguely - in being a co-maintainer on ARM if there is
nobody else on our end who can represent ARM (as it seems). I started
going through some of its design over the weekend, in my copious
non-existent spare time to try to understand the ARM bits.

More broadly though, I feel that GCC is well represented in terms of
engineering knowledge but I'm *concerned* that we run the risk of
growing a dependence on LLVM that is more critical than the LLVMpipe
stuff. Before we can blink, we might need LLVM for building lots of
other fundamental stuff. I am wondering if as a distribution we ought to
have an official FESCo-debated position on LLVM use? I do not think
Fedora has the resources to maintain two critical toolchain pieces. I do
think LLVM is useful, etc. BUT its growing use is concerning.

Jon.