Proposed F18 feature: MiniDebugInfo

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu May 10 07:20:38 UTC 2012

Alexander Larsson wrote:
> Its not particularly hard to strip the debuginfo when constructing the
> live image, although then installation from it will not really work as
> the rpms checksums will be wrong.

Indeed, that doesn't sound like a sane solution to me.

I'd rather we just don't add yet another size overhead to every package. Our
packages keep growing and growing even without that. A few KiB here, a few
KiB there, in many packages, adding up to a few MiB, and we keep running
into size issues with our live image at every single release. Size matters!

        Kevin Kofler