Please add GNU id-utils to Fedora

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Thu May 10 20:01:45 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 9:49 PM, Greg McGary <greg.mcgary at gmail.com> wrote:
> Minor conflict: the name of one of id-utils main commands "lid" is also the
> same as an existing command, though installed in a different place.  id-utils
> has /usr/bin/lid, while libuser has /usr/sbin/lid.

Yeah, that's come up before.  There's no great solution I'm afraid,
one or the other will have to change - and the only data I've seen is
debian's popcon, which indicated that libuser is used more widely.

> This conflict is exceedingly minor since /usr/sbin/lid is only usable by root.
> Ordinary users who try it get this:
>
>    $ lid foo
>    Error initializing libuser: could not open configuration file `/etc/default/useradd': Permission denied.

Ordinary users can set up a different configuration to run
unprivileged (in particular, to manage a LDAP user database).
   Mirek