default media size [Was: Proposed F18 feature: MiniDebugInfo]

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Fri May 11 08:58:33 UTC 2012

On 05/10/12 17:00, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 09:16 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Adam Jackson wrote:
>>> Even if all of your objections are true, and who knows, they might be:
>>> we already do provide alternatives.  The Live media is not the only
>>> install media.
>>
>> The other alternatives are either already DVDs or netinstall CDs which
>> require a fast Internet connection (which people who don't even have a DVD
>> drive are unlikely to have).
>
> So the set of people we'd be inconveniencing is exactly the set of
> people with no bandwidth and the inability to boot from anything larger
> than a CD.
>
> Do we think that's a statistically significant number of people, or are
> we just arguing?

I suspect the number is pretty small if non-zero at all.

Fedora raises the hardware requirements now and then.  The minimum cpu
required for i386 was changed a few versions back.  Likewise very old
gfx cards tend to not be supported very well (see the guy running F11
for that reason).  You need a not too small amout of memory to run the
livecd and the anaconda installer.  I guess it is pretty hard to find
hardware which runs f18 well and can not boot from dvd or usb ...

Also, can the netinst.iso install from local media too?  A usb key for
example?  So you can use netinst.iso @ CD and install-dvd @ usbkey to
install if your box can boot from cd only ...

cheers,
  Gerd