Proposed F18 feature: MiniDebugInfo

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri May 11 10:11:17 UTC 2012

Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> Sounds more useful to me to just have a single live image which has
> multiple desktop environments included, so you don't have the common
> bits multiple times at the dvd ...

That sounds nice in theory, but is just not practical:
* The per-desktop live images are what we develop and test. Nobody is
testing an "everything" live DVD (with all merged into one image, as opposed
to the Multi DVD we're doing now).
* The live images also have different display managers. An "everything" live
DVD would most likely end up with GDM, which makes it particularly hard to
select a non-GNOME session. (Many users complain about not finding the
session type selection in GDM.) Using GDM might also otherwise degrade the
experience for the non-GNOME desktops. (We try hard to make things like
shutdown, restart or user switching work for KDE Plasma sessions in GDM, but
upstream always lags behind the current GDM/ConsoleKit/systemd/… in support,
and it doesn't get the kind of testing KDM gets. I still don't know whether
user switching from KDE Plasma Desktop with GDM actually works now in F17,
and if it doesn't work, whether it's a bug in my code or in systemd/GDM/…)
* The menus would get crowded with up to 4 (or even 5 if Sugar activities
start registering in menus as well) applications for each task. And no,
OnlyShowIn is not a solution because some users WANT to use the "foreign"
apps. It's just installing them all by default which would lead to a poor
user experience.

I think the current system is a much better solution. It also allows doing
both CDs and the Multi DVD with the same development effort.

        Kevin Kofler