FIFE package in Fedora

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri May 11 19:38:24 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 08:20:47PM +0100, Nelson Marques wrote:
> The FIFE[1] Engine package in Fedora in the past provided public
> static and shared objects; From one of my talks with 'prock' from
> upstream he stated that:
>
>   - public shared libraries are not supported by upstream and are not
> used by any of the current clients;
>   - static blobs are not used by clients and aren't either supported;
>   - all that clients are expecting is the _fife.so in the python-fife
> package and the respective python stuff;
>
> During the update to 0.3.3r3 made by Tom on request to BZ757352 we
> supressed the static package... On future updates can we also supress
> the public shared objects since they are not used by any client and
> I'm not really sure if anyone will have any usage for them at all...
> Anyone developing games with FIFE ? :)

Sounds like building a library is just an artifact of upstream's build
scripts as they are creating their python extension module.  Repoquery
doesn't show anything in the Fedora 16 repositories that are using the
libfife.so.

> Another issue regarding fife is how Fedora currently packages it:
>
>  fife: provides currently the dynamic shared objects;
>  fife-python: provides the python wrapped stuff (this is the only
> package clients expect)
>  fife-devel: development stuff
>
> Would it make more sense to have it this way:
>
>  - python-fife (with virtual provides to FIFE, assuming we can
> Provide/Obsolete a bit for smoother transiction in clients);
>  - fife-libs (the dynamic shared objects, not supported by upstream in any way)
>  - fife-devel

If you're going to remove the fife libraries then I'd probably make it look
more like this:

* Do a rename package review to rename the package from fife to python-fife.
* Have this package only build and ship the python-fife binding.  The fife
  "library" is compiled as part of this as an internal static archive (it's
  built as a static archive but it's purpose is not to be shipped -- it's
  just an intermediate container for the building of the python C extension
  module).
* Have the python-fife package Obsolete: fife <= (The version that last
  shipped a fife library).
* Do not have the python-fife package Provide: fife
* Do not have a fife or fife-libs package.  Do not have a fife-devel.

Just remember that if other packages start using libfife, you'll need to
revisit this and probably revert all these changes (so that you're once
again building a libfife.so and linking the python extension against that).

-Toshio