SSH connection problem and possible buffer overflow

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Fri May 11 20:58:11 UTC 2012

Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> I have Fedora desktops talking SSH to RHEL 6.2 servers. F16 worked fine,
> but I started getting mysterious connection failures with F17:
>
>    ssh -v serverA
>    debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
>    Read from socket failed: Connection reset by peer
>
> This is vexing: I can ssh to an identically configured serverB. The only
> difference that I can see: serverB is on the same subnet, whereas
> failing serverA is across some routers and an internal firewall.

If serverA and serverB are running the same version of the SSH server, then
I'd suspect the firewall. Many firewalls have a bad habit of mangling data and
violating protocols. Is it possible for you to see what it looks like from the
server side? For example, does the SSH server crash or does it also receive an
RST packet?

Björn Persson