Please add GNU id-utils to Fedora

Michal Schmidt mschmidt at redhat.com
Mon May 14 12:28:23 UTC 2012

On 05/14/2012 10:11 AM, Jim Meyering wrote:
> Miloslav Trma─Ź wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure that naming conflicts in /usr/bin have happened before
>> in Fedora, I'm not sure how they were resolved.
>
> Even in a relatively minimal system, I see many programs installed
> in both /sbin and /bin, though none seem to conflict:
> [...]
> Odd that some point from /bin to /sbin, and others from /sbin to /bin.
> Some use relative symlinks, others use absolute.

These are not comparable to the "lid" situation. They are either:
  - programs using consolehelper, the legacy privilege escalation
    mechanism, which depends on one of the names being a symlink to
    consolehelper and the other name being the program itself,
    or
  - cases where the program historically lived in one directory, then
    was moved to the other and a symlink in the old directory was added
    for backwards compat. But it is the same program.

They're not comparable to the "lid" name conflict between two different
programs.

Michal