Packaging issue: what to do about debuginfo after arch->noarch change?

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Mon May 14 14:34:17 UTC 2012

I recently converted mysql-connector-java from arch to noarch (it used
to use GCJ to build, now it doesn't).  Martin Cermak pointed out to me
that if you had the debuginfo subpackage installed, and you upgrade,
the old debuginfo will still be there even though it's now irrelevant.
Is this a bug, and if so what should I do about it?

It seems to me that it's not a bug, because AFAICS there has never been
any attempt to enforce that only relevant debuginfo packages are
installed.  For instance, there isn't any Requires: at all from a
debuginfo package to its base package, let alone an exact-version-match
Requires:.

It was suggested that I could add an Obsoletes: line to the specfile
to get rid of the old debuginfo package, but this seems a bit weird
to me, and inconsistent with the fact that there aren't Requires:
linkages.

I don't see anything in the packaging guidelines that addresses the
point.  Given that we're converting most Java packages to noarch,
perhaps the issue comes up often enough to justify having a policy?

			regards, tom lane