CDDL+GPL still an issue?

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon May 14 14:41:19 UTC 2012

On 05/14/2012 10:32 AM, Simone Caronni wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> To better understand; in similar cases, how do I know that I can't
> link with GPL?
>
> The fact that both "GPLv3 Compat?" and "GPLv2 Compat?" columns have
> their value to "NO" in the CDDL or BSD Protection line can be a clear
> indication of that?

Yes. CDDL is considered to be GPLv2 and GPLv3 incompatible, so cases of
direct linking or code copying between GPLv2|GPLv3 and CDDL code result
in a pile of incompatible licenses (and effectively undistributable)
results, so they are not permitted in Fedora.

cdrtools is a particularly egregious case, which is why I added it to
the Forbidden Items list.

(To be clear, CDDL-only works that do not depend upon or link to GPL
code are okay for Fedora, even if I personally think the CDDL license is
a terrible choice.)

~tom

==
Fedora Project