Packaging issue: what to do about debuginfo after arch->noarch change?

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon May 14 15:11:50 UTC 2012

On 05/14/2012 11:02 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Tom Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> writes:
>> On 05/14/2012 10:34 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> I recently converted mysql-connector-java from arch to noarch (it used
>>> to use GCJ to build, now it doesn't).  Martin Cermak pointed out to me
>>> that if you had the debuginfo subpackage installed, and you upgrade,
>>> the old debuginfo will still be there even though it's now irrelevant.
>>> Is this a bug, and if so what should I do about it?
>
>> Hmm. I'm inclined to say that we ought to resolve this either in
>> anaconda or preupgrade by running some sort of "cleanup" script that
>> looks for orphan debuginfo and flushes them down the drain, as opposed
>> to carrying Obsoletes.
>
> Note that the case Martin was concerned about was a plain old "yum
> update" of the package, not an OS-wide upgrade.  I'm unsure to what
> extent yum knows about debuginfo, but that's where smarts would need
> to be added to address his concern.

I don't think yum cares, it just sees debuginfo packages as "packages
from the debuginfo repo". Debuginfo packages don't have Requires of the
base package, so they should never be breaking deps in situations like
the one above, and I'm not sure we want to be slowing down the yum
transaction to do a reaper check on every transaction (hence, preupgrade
or anaconda).

~tom

==
Fedora Project