Size of official media handouts (was Re: Proposed F18 feature: MiniDebugInfo)

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Mon May 14 20:18:02 UTC 2012

> I'm still a bit baffled that a 3.5 MB increase on a 700MB live image
> is considered a complete showstopper.  ...

Another place to check is the raw filesystem size before adding payload
and before compressing.  The unused space squashes "nicely" because it
was created as zero on purpose, but still can occupy a significant
fraction of a megabyte because each 128KB block is squashed separately.
Start with a filesystem that is closer to the size of the total payload.