Size of official media handouts (was Re: Proposed F18 feature: MiniDebugInfo)

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Tue May 15 17:12:25 UTC 2012

On 5/14/12 8:19 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:

> Well, the desktop team has said for a while that the thing they'd really
> want to add to the desktop image if they had more room is LibreOffice,
> but that requires substantially more than a few dozen MB. Basically,
> they consider saving a small amount of room to be more trouble than it's
> worth in most cases, but saving or creating a large amount of room to be
> very valuable, as it would allow the re-introduction of an office suite.
> AIUI, anyway. As it stands, the desktop image is actually usually
> several MB under 700, but not enough to put LO back in.

As of just now, if I chop out the -libreoffice-* from
fedora-livecd-desktop.ks and try to build an F16 live iso for amd64, I
get something that's 794M.  If I try the same thing for F17, I get 772M.
  Progress!  Getting another 72M out of the image might be just barely
possible, though assuredly a lot of work.  Like, you could port the
world to gtk3, but the gtk2 binary rpm (which I'm taking as a proxy for
live image size since both are xz-compressed) is only 3.2M.

- ajax