rpmlib(X-CheckUnifiedSystemdir) is needed by filesystem-3-2.fc17.x86_64

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed May 16 05:16:57 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-05-16 at 00:10 -0300, Paulo César Pereira de Andrade wrote:
> 2012/5/15 Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>:
> > On Tue, 2012-05-15 at 23:47 -0300, Paulo César Pereira de Andrade wrote:
> >> I know I got what I deserved by attempting to "fix" by hand the move
> >> from / to /usr, just did need to boot from the fedora16 dvd, mount lvm
> >> root and finish my "fix"; brain fart, and cyclic dep on moving /lib64
> >> to /usr/lib64 and then a symlink, leaving it with all binaries failing
> >> due to missing /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2.
> >>   After that, while it is finishing updating to rawhide right now, I did
> >> go search for documentation, but still find that
> >> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum#Fedora_16_-.3E_Fedora_17
> >> is not much clear about it. Maybe should strongly advise installing
> >> busybox and/or have a step by step procedure.
> >
> > It, um, does have a step by step procedure. Do what it says there, and
> > it works. I upgraded five boxes.
>
>   Yes, it was me trying to be too smart :-)
>
> >> Or even better, to somehow
> >> have it done automatically, by some statically linked program.
> >
> > This is already done if you use any supported upgrade method -
> > preupgrade or netinst / DVD upgrade.
>
>   What I did was to install fedora-release-rawhide, disable all
> repositories in /etc/yum.repos.d and enable rawhide ones, and then
> attempt a few times yum distro-sync until I removed all unresolvable
> updates, most due to several review requests and/or requests for
> enhancement that I will rebuild...
>
>   Not a criticism, just reporting my hacker instinct of only reading
> documentation when everything else fails :-)

Yeah, the reason we have the yum upgrade instructions page is that it's
simply not always possible to ensure a straightforward 'switch repos and
yum upgrade' (or, better, 'yum --releasever=XX distro-sync') will
completely work. That's also why yum isn't an officially supported
upgrade method. /usr move is a good example, really. It would be
impossible, really, to handle it through RPM scripts/triggers alone.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey