Please add GNU id-utils to Fedora

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed May 16 07:50:47 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 12:07:40PM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:

> Put it this way: in the package review process,
> *must* the name conflict be cause for rejection?

A direct file conflict would definitely be a blocker (
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Conflicts )

The case where one command is in /usr/sbin and another is in /usr/bin seems
to violate the spirit of the Guidelines but not the letter.  I would hope
that a reviewer would try to resolve the conflict as the guidelines advise
anyway.  We typically have people first attempt to talk to both upstreams
and get one or the other to rename.  Failing that, we normally make
a decision.for the Fedora package and try to coordinate that with other
distros (or at least make other distros aware of it).  "We" in this case is
preferentially the package maintainers but if they can't agree, then the FPC
examines it.  This case seems like it will be pretty tough to make
a decision on should it come to the FPC as both programs have a long
history.  id-utils' longer history is somewhat persuasive in one direction
but libuser's longer history in Fedora is persuasive in the other.

The compromise where a lid script that asks the user to create an alias
sounds suboptimal but may be the best choice in the end.  The FPC would
consider it along with other proposals for how to deal with it.

-Toshio