procps-ng is a mistake (was: Re: Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2012-05-14))

Jaromir Capik jcapik at redhat.com
Wed May 16 08:38:14 UTC 2012

Ahoj Matěji.

You're partially right.
If we talk about the Fedora's package name, then it could remain untouched.
But since the new upstream name had to be changed and I wanted others to know
they're installing the -ng version, I changed the name to procps-ng.
Moreover, I initially wanted to introduce both version concurrently
and later I decided to drop procps completely because of unclarities
in the resolution of virtual provides.
Packaging guidelines also say that package names should match the upstream
tarball or project name and the name change seemed to me as the clearest
and best solution.

Jaromír.