x32 abi support?

Nicolas Chauvet kwizart at gmail.com
Wed May 16 20:24:27 UTC 2012

2012/5/16 Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I noticed this article:
>>
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTEwMTk
>>
>> Has this been discussed on fedora?
>
> Not that I've seen.  Also, the article is either incomplete or
> incorrect, as full x32 support for glibc hasn't landed yet.  Upstream
> is still working on that and it might get in for glibc-2.16.
>
> If this were to come to Fedora, I would expect it to start as a
> secondary architecture.

Secondary arch suggests the whole fedora collection is built with x32 ABI.
But there is one noticeable exception with that; as I understood:the
kernel will anyway "remains" at x86_64.

So that make me wonder if we really need to built the whole collection
as x32 ? Or if we only wants a selection of components to be optimized
by x32. For example does it matter to move the whole Xorg server
infrastructure as x32 or is it possible to leave it as x86_64 ? or is
there any benifit for the move to x32 in this area ?

Nicolas (kwizart)