x32 abi support?

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Wed May 16 20:29:05 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Nicolas Chauvet <kwizart at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/5/16 Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com>:
>> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I noticed this article:
>>>
>>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTEwMTk
>>>
>>> Has this been discussed on fedora?
>>
>> Not that I've seen.  Also, the article is either incomplete or
>> incorrect, as full x32 support for glibc hasn't landed yet.  Upstream
>> is still working on that and it might get in for glibc-2.16.
>>
>> If this were to come to Fedora, I would expect it to start as a
>> secondary architecture.
>
> Secondary arch suggests the whole fedora collection is built with x32 ABI.
> But there is one noticeable exception with that; as I understood:the
> kernel will anyway "remains" at x86_64.

The kernel is x86_64, with support for the x32 ABI, yes.

> So that make me wonder if we really need to built the whole collection
> as x32 ? Or if we only wants a selection of components to be optimized
> by x32. For example does it matter to move the whole Xorg server
> infrastructure as x32 or is it possible to leave it as x86_64 ? or is
> there any benifit for the move to x32 in this area ?

You can't link x32 binaries against i686/x86_64 libraries, etc.  You
need entirely separate userspace.  From a Fedora perspective, the way
to do that is to add an architecture to koji and build whatever you
want.  That arch add should start as secondary.

josh