x32 abi support?

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Thu May 17 04:19:07 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 12:28:29AM +0200, Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:
> Matthew Garrett wrote:
>
> > [...]
> >So, overall, x32 is only really beneficial for embedded platforms rather
> >than general purpose ones. As Josh says, if there's sufficient interest
> >then it could potentially be implemented as a separate architecture and
> >spend some time in secondary, but I don't know that there'd be a huge
> >benefit to Fedora to spend much time on it.
>
> x32 makes intel be faster Atom Z2460 [1]

I can't find any x86_64/ia32/x32 benchmarks in that article? Regardless,
I'd agree that x32 is potentially useful on heavily resource-constrained
interactive devices like phones. The quesiton is whether it's useful for
any of the platforms that Fedora targets. Virtualisation is something I
hadn't considered and it may be that there are benefits there, but I'd
still appreciate some real figures before encouraging people to spend
time on it.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org