Fwd: should we install google croscore font as a default font in fedora 18?

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Thu May 17 08:04:02 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-05-17 at 11:27 +0530, Parag N(पराग़) wrote:
>   Currently, I have marked google-croscore-fonts as a optional package
> in comps-f18. Considering it has got more orthography support compared
> to Liberation font can we install it default?

> But, I would also say that we have active development for Liberation
> font and if a bug comes for Liberation font we can fix it.

The entries that exist in both Liberation fonts and Croscore are
basically identical glyphs right ?

Times New Roman metrics: Liberation Serif, Arimo
Courier New metrics: Liberation Mono, Cousine
Arial metrics: Liberation Sans, Tinos
Arial Narrow metrics: Liberation Sans Narrow, <no-equivalent ?>

So there isn't a "Tinos Narrow", right ?

Is it, at least theoretically, possible for Red Hat to
a) relicence the Liberation fonts under OFL and merge in the extra
glyphs ? Or are we painted into a corner somehow on that by 3rd party
contributions under LGPLv2 ?
b) Just create a new font based on the Croscore fonts using the OFL and
call it Liberation Fonts 2.0

If we're caught on Liberation Sans Narrow being donated through hdu from
Sun/Oracle under the GPLv2, split it off as a standalone "Narrow"
project remaining under the GPLv2 ?

C.