[announce] yum: parallel downloading

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri May 18 15:59:12 UTC 2012

Am 18.05.2012 17:34, schrieb José Matos:
> On 2012-05-18 15:23, Glen Turner wrote:
>> Hi Zdenek,
>>
>> Why is the default three connections rather than one? Is a tripling of
>> the number of connections to a mirror on a Fedora release day desirable?
>> Consider that a large mirror site already sees concurrent connections in
>> the multiple 10,000s.
>>
>> Cheers, Glen
>
> The total number of connections should be the same, as far as I
> understand only the number of connections from a single host will be three.
> Since it should be safe to assume that the downloads are independent
> events then there should not be any significant difference for busy
> servers. :-)

why are making the connections to the SAME mirror at all?
it would make much more sense to download packages
parallel and each one from a different mirror

currently the largest problem is that most mirrors does
not reflect as example my 100 Mbit downstream connection
and "yum-plugin-fastest-mirror" makes completly wrong
decisions