[announce] yum: parallel downloading

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun May 20 10:05:40 UTC 2012

Am 20.05.2012 07:02, schrieb Rob K:
> On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 1:34 AM, José Matos <jamatos at fc.up.pt> wrote:
>
>> The total number of connections should be the same, as far as I
>> understand only the number of connections from a single host will be three.
>> Since it should be safe to assume that the downloads are independent
>> events then there should not be any significant difference for busy
>> servers. :-)
>
> 3 times x is 3x. Tripling the stampede on a busy server for a dubious
> increase in personal speed is kind of rude, from the mirror manager's
> point of view. The 'ftp accelerators' that divvy up a download into a
> hundred ftp range requests is pathological enough to deal with.

i generally do not understand how someone comes to the idea
in context of "parallel downloading" making more than one
connection to the SAME creeping mirror

as i first read "yum: parallel downloading" i was happy and thought
"yeah, the problem with creeping updates will be solved" and as
i saw how this should be implemented i could not believe my yes

> Before this work proceeds, can we please see some hard numbers, and
> get some input from mirror managers?

if they read this idea i fear they stopped breathing :-(

PLEASE: stop this idea as long it doe snot spread the donwloads over
different mirrors because the current direction makes only damage
in the infrastructure with less improvement for the user