Stop the git abuse

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun May 20 22:07:56 UTC 2012

Simo Sorce wrote:
> This is really a personal preference.
> For example I really *hate* merges, they clutter everything.

They don't clutter anything at all if they're fast-forward. If you're going
to push the same new version to all releases (as was done in the
screenshot), I see no reason not to just fast-forward all branches to
master.

> git diff is all you need to check if there are differences, merges tell
> you nothing about that, and merges canj *hide* changes you were supposed
> *not to* bring from one branch to the other.

Fast-forward merges don't hide anything.

>> Example: http://sochotni.fedorapeople.org/ugly-git-history.png
>> F16, F17 and rawhide could be the same commmit and just few commits
>> ahead of F15. But the way it was done, it's not obvious that F17 has a
>> typo causing problems.
>
> cherry-picking should have been used in this case.

No, fast-forward merging should have been used here.

        Kevin Kofler