Stop the git abuse

Michael J Gruber michaeljgruber+gmane at fastmail.fm
Mon May 21 14:32:37 UTC 2012

Greg Swift venit, vidit, dixit 21.05.2012 15:29:
> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 4:52 AM, Michael J Gruber
> <michaeljgruber+gmane at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> * put compatibility cludges for older releases on their respective
>> branches (this gets rid of many if's in spec)
>
> i'm not against cleaning up ifs related to end of life/support
> releases, but how far are you suggesting that go?  I know that I've
> pulled plenty of rawhide packages for build on a RHEL box when
> necessary, and even if they don't always support EPEL sometimes
> they've had if switches in them that helped save me lots of time.
> That and managing several specs because of this could be quite
> painful.

I didn't think about this use case, but in general, most ifs should be
conditional on package version or package availability (for other
packages) rather than on fedora vs. rhel.

Usually, these changes can be merged down safely.

Having the same spec file on different branches but with many
target-specific ifs is kind of un-gitty... Why do we need branches then?

Michael