Stop the git abuse

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Mon May 21 15:34:23 UTC 2012

On 21.5.2012 17:13, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> ... nobody mentioned Bodhi update messages here).
> I did not want to reheat previous discussions on Fedora bureaucracy, but
> this is part of it.

I wouldn't dare say a word about our update policy (Growing up in the
Communist Czechoslovakia taught me when to shut up about silliness and
fight for more important causes). Just noticing, that when it comes to
fedpkg update, it is *third* essentially same message one has to write

> Today, we're in a phase of git being over-hyped ... util people will
> realize that git is not the solution to all problems of mankind.

I give you that, but do you see any alternative which would in let's say
five years replaced git in Fedora? Five years is a long time in computer
industry, but OTOH five years ago (plus how long it has been since we
actually switched to git) it was IMHO obvious our CVS is doomed.

Matěj