Stop the git abuse

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Tue May 22 06:41:27 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 21:58 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > [ shrug... ]  The fact that *you* don't care is not evidence that nobody
> > else cares, and it is certainly not evidence that nobody else should care.
>
> The fact that many maintainers have been doing this for years and nobody
> complained about it is, though.
>
> It just doesn't make sense to maintain per-branch changelogs if the specfile
> is otherwise identical across branches.

+1, I personally use both methods depending on the package differences
among branches. If the differences are small to none I use merges
otherwise cherry-picking. And nobody complained. This definitely should
not be mandated one way or other - it should be left on maintainer's
discretion.
--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb