changelog in spec file, was Re: Stop the git abuse

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Tue May 22 20:56:56 UTC 2012

On 05/20/2012 09:49 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 08:02:23PM -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
>> Agreed. changelog and version field conflicts are 90% of my cherry-pick
>> conflicts.
>> I would be in favour of no longer maintaining a changelog in the spec file
>
> As long as it gets put into the final RPM in the build process somehow. `rpm
> --changelog` is often very, very useful in the field.

+1

It's great that CVS vulnerability numbers patched by each release are
mentioned in the changelog. Tracking it is a common requirement in many
environments, and rpm -q --changelog provides a very nice way to find
out about it.

In fact, is that a policy or just something nice that people do? if the
latter, could we consider adopting it officially?