SystemD: When to start service for file system kernel module

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu May 24 00:48:07 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> The whole idea of akmods (to compile kernel modules early at boot) is
> simply flawed. If you want to do such a thing then compile the modules
> when you install the updated kernel, not at boot, when it is too
> late. This is particularly the case for drivers and suchlike which
> should be loaded by udev as the devices become available, but you don't
> want to do builds before udev is started.

It was worth a shot. There is a akmods bootstrap script in
/etc/kernel/postinst.d but in this particular case I need to make sure
that kmod-spl-devel is installed prior to trying to build kmod-zfs
which there doesn't seem to be a simple way of doing that...

Richard